Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
Jose Montero and Yvonne Goldsberry
About the Health Promotion and Disease Prevention (HPDP) Pillar
The work of the Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Pillar Project focuses on decreasing the leading preventable causes of illness and death among New Hampshire citizens through collaboration, evidence-based information, and sound policy recommendations. Our aim is to strengthen the public health system, integrate population health and clinical care systems, and work towards increased health and well-being of all New Hampshire citizens.
Over the decade long initiative, the work of the Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Pillar Group will focus on decreasing the leading causes of illness and death among New Hampshire citizens. We will do this through collaboration, evidence-based information, and sound policy recommendations to strengthen the public health system and will work towards increased health and well-being of all New Hampshire citizens.
As its first project, the HPDP Pillar Group produced the Pound of Prevention report in 2007 which identified the major underlying causes of mortality and morbidity in NH as unhealthy eating, sedentary lifestyle, tobacco, and unhealthy alcohol use. Building on this report, the HPDP Pillar Group then partnered with leading NH organizations, including Breathe NH, New Futures, and the HNHfoundation to promote the use of evidence-based interventions and policy to reduce the impact of these identified risk factors.
Based on the premise that collaborative health promotion efforts involving public health and medicine play a critical role in reducing the burden of preventable disease in NH, the HPDP Pillar Group began its work on this strategic issue in 2009. The Group started by gathering information on projects and programs taking place around the state directed at the coordination of public health sector efforts with medical care sector activity. Through this process, the HPDP Pillar Group: 1) gained an understanding of the breadth, depth, and range of integration activity occurring across the state; and 2) identified ways that the Citizens Health Initiative could move this pillar activity from study and review to support for specific actions and programs. A summary of these case studies is available here. A compilation of the key themes gleaned from these case studies for supporting integration projects involving public health and medicine is available in the 2009 HPDP Summary.
In 2011 the HPDP Pillar Group focused its efforts on promoting awareness statewide about the Strategic Plan for Integrating New Hampshire’s Public Health and Medical Care Systems, discerning opportunities to link the work of the HPDP Pillar Group with the work of the Payment Reform/Accountable Care Organization Pilot, and developing tools and strategies to increase awareness about the concept of integration and/or facilitate the linking of medicine, public health, and other community stakeholders to address NH’s health behavior priorities of healthy eating, active living, tobacco cessation, and healthy alcohol use.
For 2012 the HPDP Pillar Group plans to undertake a concrete, applied project that: 1) directly advances recommendations included in the Strategic Plan for Integrating New Hampshire’s Public Health and Medical Care Systems and 2) links the HPDP Pillar Group work with that of the Initiative’s Medical Home Project.
For more information on the HPDP Pillar Group contact Holly Tutko.
Meeting Summaries and Presentations
Reports and Publications
- Comprehensive Community Health-Clinical Integration Approach to Address Obesity
- Medical Care and Public Health System Integration: A Practical Guide
- Chronic Disease Integration Case Study
- Chronic Disease Integration Case Study Worksheet
- Slides: A Strategic Plan for Integrating the Work of New Hampshire's Public Health and Medical Care Systems
- A Strategic Plan for Integrating the Work of New Hampshire's Public Health and Medical Care Systems UPDATED May 2011
- Press Release about the Strategic Plan for Integration, November 15, 2010
- Advocates for Healthy Youth Coalition Case Study - Integrating Medical, Public Health, and Community Efforts to Address Child Obesity
- 2009 HPDP Summary: Public Health and Personal Health System Integration in NH
- Summary of NH Integration Case Studies Conducted by HPDP
- 2009 Find the Facts! Diabetes in NH
Selected Resources on Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
Obesity Prevention in NH
Tobacco Use Prevention in NH
- 2008 Tobacco Action Plan
- Tobacco Control and Prevention Program, NH DHHS
- NH Tobacoo Data (2000-2007)
- 2007-2009 NH Youth Tobacco Statewide Survey
Alcohol Abuse Prevention in NH
- Overcoming the Impact of Alcohol and Other Drug Problems: A State Plan for NH (2007)
- NH Center for Excellence
- New Futures
- NH Center for Excellence Data Library
Linking the Medical and Public Health Systems
- Medicine and Public Health Monograph
- Effective Clinical Partnerships between Primary Care Medical Practices and Public Health Agencies Report
- A Scoping Literature Review of Collaboration Between Primary Care and Public Health
- Integrating Clinical Care and Community Health
- Integrating Evidence-Based Clinical and Community Strategies to Improve Health